2018 – 2019 CALENDAR REMINDERS:
- Fri, May 10 – Pre-K B is going to the Mother’s Day Plant Sale* Parents may send in money with their child so that the child may purchase plants as gifts for Mom, Grandma, etc. (Please include a list of who your child is purchasing for and how much they are allowed to spend on each person – prices vary, starting at $6. Thank you!)
- Mon., May 27th – Memorial Day – No School for All
- Monday, June 17th at 11:00AM – Step-up Ceremony for PreK
CURRENT UNIT: Babies
Essential Question: What are babies?
- What do human babies need?
- What can we learn about animal babies?
- How do babies change?
*Exciting News: Some of our butterflies have emerged!
PRIOR UNIT: Plants
Essential Question: How do plants grow and why are they important?
- What are plants?
- What do plants need and where do we find them?
- What are some different kinds of plants?
- Why are plants important?
*The children were very excited – some of our seeds (especially the marigolds) sprouted!!!
PRIOR UNIT: Water
Essential Question: What does water do?
- Where can we find water?
- What happens to water when it changes temperature?
- What happens when we put things in water?
- How does water help us?
*On Feb. 11th, The Shadow Box Theatre presented “Little is Big” to the Pre-K and Nursery classes.
On December 19th, PreK had a visit from some of Alley Pond Environmental Center’s residents:
Houdini (corn snake) Patrick (ring-necked dove) OXO (Guinea pig) Jack (box turtle)
Our Weekly Schedule:
– Monday – SONG DAY – Special Music Class with Ms.Heal
– Tuesday – ARTISTIC DAY – Special Art Class with Mrs. B
– Wednesday – BOOK DAY – Visit with our school Librarian. Plus, in our classroom, it’s time for READ & TELL – This is when an assigned child (see the list below) brings in a book to share with the class.
– Thursday – SNEAKER DAY – Special Gym Class with Mr. Barron (The children need to wear sneakers to participate. Also note, the children engage in movement activities daily, so the safest footwear every day is sneakers.)
– Friday – SCIENTIST DAY – This is the day an assigned child (see the list below) usually brings in a new item for the Science Box in Science Center. *This is also the day we have FAMILY READ & TELL. Thank you to those parents and grandparent who signed up to read to us! If you are interested, please let us know.
READ & TELL – assignments have been completed for the year
SCIENCE BOX – will now be used for specimens from our caterpillars as they grow & change
Teacher’s Contact Information:
You may reach Mrs. Delaney by:
(1) Sending a note in your child’s folder
(2) Calling the main office: (718) 426-4963
(3) Emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org (checked at the beginning and the end of the school day).
- Please label everything that your child brings to school.
- We strongly suggest your child wear sneakers daily as we will be having active play daily.
- We are happy to celebrate birthdays in class – there are 18 children in our class. Please notify the teacher a week in advance and, on the day of, you may send in party napkins and a small nut-free dessert treat for each child. Invitations and goody bags will only be distributed if every child in our class is included.
NYS Prekindergarten Foundations for the Common Core:
To order from Scholastic Book Clubs, you may :
(1) Return the flyer’s order form to your teacher by the due date
(2) Go online to https://clubs.scholastic.com/ Our class code is GWPND. The online orders are processed at the same time as the “paper” orders.
Thank you for ordering books and supporting our classroom library.